Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: "Sapphire Blue" by G. Doucette


WARNING: DARK THEMES, EXPLICIT CONTENT Has Mara lost control, or has it been taken from her? Mara Cantor’s life is boring and uncomplicated, and she likes it that way. She has her internship at the museum—a job she shares with her roommate, Davis—and while it is low-paying and occasionally mind-numbing, it gives her all the free time she needs to finish her thesis. And that is just fine. But when Argent Leeds, the internationally famous playboy and raconteur, visits Mara’s museum, he brings with him the most exciting archeological discovery in decades: the Pazuzu gemstones. Long assumed to be nothing more than a myth by most scholars, the gemstones are rumored to possess mystical powers. Between Argent, his gemstones, and Davis, Mara’s boring life has suddenly gotten very complicated. Now she is caught up in a sexual adventure that is either the most exciting time of her life . . . or the most terrifying.
 Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.
Hmmmm, how to describe this book?  Unique, erotic, and surprising.  Yep, that about sums it up for me.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'd have to say the further I got into the book, the more surprised I became.  I think it was the paranormal aspect that drew me in, although initially I was leery of it.  I'm not usually much of a paranormal enthusiast, but something about the Pazuzu gemstones was really creepy-cool.

From the start, I could tell something was up with Argent.  He had some sort of hold and power over Mara, where he could coerce her into doing things she normally wouldn't even think of doing - Argent would just suggest something and Mara would go along with it as if in a trance.  The beginning third of the book was a bit slow, but it seemed to be laying the foundation.  Once I got through the preliminary groundwork, thing picked up and I just HAD to find out how - or if - Mara was going to get out of this warped relationship.

For G. Doucette's first foray into the erotica genre, I think he did a great job.  I would definitely be interested in reading more along this line from him.

My rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment