Thursday, April 2, 2015

Review: "The Trouble With Flirting" by Rachel Morgan

Labelled a nerd for most of high school, Livi sees her first year of university as a chance to redefine herself. She can finally enter the popular crowd and maybe even land herself a super hot boyfriend. But Livi’s about to discover that the price of popularity may be more than she’s willing to pay, and that what — and who — she wants most has always been right in front of her.
Thank you to Netgalley and Mark My Words Book Publicity for the ARC!

You know, I think many people can probably relate to Livi's character - I know I certainly can!  Growing up nerdy can be rough, but it's always tougher if you're self-conscious about it.  That's why I love the age my daughter is at right now.  She's ten, and she's a proud nerd!  She's comfortable with who she is and what she likes, and I wouldn't have her any other way!  I just hope she holds onto this confidence throughout adolescence...

Anyway, back to Livi!  She's a nerd, but she's not proud of it.  She's embarrassed of just about everything about herself, including her musical ability, which is a real shame.  Moving to a new city to attend university, Livi is excited to reinvent herself, and honestly, what is wrong with that?  A new hairstyle, new clothes and makeup, and a more outgoing attitude - what could go wrong?  Haha!  So much, indeed!  That scene on the beach?  Yep, been there, done that!  Poor Livi, her antics had me giggling many a time!

But it's not all fun and games.  Morgan doesn't shy away from some of the more serious topics facing the college crowd today.  It was great to see Livi's growth as a character as she stood up for herself on more than one occasion, and how she eventually became more comfortable in her own skin.  

There is a bit of a love triangle, but before all you triangle haters cross this book completely off your list, let me say that in this case, it seems to work.  I won't give away more than that, but yeah, I thought this aspect of the book was quite well done.

Did I mention the setting?  I was surprised and delighted to find that this series is set in South Africa!  How cool is that?  I immediately Googled the University of Cape Town, and ohmigosh it's so beautiful!  And so unique in the world of New Adult.

So, definitely enchanted by this series and excited to get my hands on whatever Rachel Morgan comes out with next.

My rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment