In Robin York’s sizzling debut, a college student is attacked online and must restore her name—and stay clear of a guy who’s wrong for her, but feels so right. When Caroline Piasecki’s ex-boyfriend posts their sex pictures on the Internet, it destroys her reputation as a nice college girl. Suddenly her once-promising future doesn’t look so bright. Caroline tries to make the pictures disappear, hoping time will bury her shame. Then a guy she barely knows rises to her defense and punches her ex to the ground. West Leavitt is the last person Caroline needs in her life. Everyone knows he’s shady. Still, Caroline is drawn to his confidence and swagger—even after promising her dad she’ll keep her distance. On late, sleepless nights, Caroline starts wandering into the bakery where West works. They hang out, they talk, they listen. Though Caroline and West tell each other they’re “just friends,” their feelings intensify until it becomes impossible to pretend. The more complicated her relationship with West gets, the harder Caroline has to struggle to discover what she wants for herself—and the easier it becomes to find the courage she needs to fight back against the people who would judge her. When all seems lost, sometimes the only place to go is deeper.
Now THIS is what a New Adult novel should look like, and feel like, and just BE like! Robin York is my new heroine of the genre!
I think I'm kinda in love with this book (in case you couldn't tell from my previous gushing). I love Caroline, and I love West! They're both pretty kick ass in their own ways. So let's break it down, shall we?
- I love that she didn't head for the hills when those pictures surfaced online. I hate to admit it, but I think that's exactly what I would have done if I were in her shoes.
- I love that she gets into rugby. It's such a gnarly sport - I don't know much about it, but I have a bunch of friends who play, and I think it's just so cool!
- I love her relationship with her dad. Something about father/daughter moments make my eyes well up.
- I love how she's tongue tied and flustered around West - so cute!
- I love how her best friend didn't judge her and stuck by her throughout her scandal.
- I love how he pretty much raised his little sister.
- I love that he works in a bakery. A guy who can bake? Seriously, how great is that?
- I love that he can hold his own in a fight.
- I love that he doesn't baby Caroline.
I didn't really love that West was into some illegal stuff, but it definitely fit within the context of the story, and it didn't make West any less lovable.
Not sure what else I can say that hasn't already been said, but if you're looking for a New Adult read and you want to skip the rest and go straight to the best, pick up "Deeper" for yourself.