Monday, April 21, 2014

Review: "The Naughty Girls Book Club" by Sophie Hart


A quaint suburb. A quiet little book club. A very naughty reading list. When Estelle sets up a book group in order to increase custom to her struggling cafe, what follows is more mind-blowing than she could have ever imagined... As the first book club meeting flounders, Estelle suggests a spot of erotica to spice things up. Inspired by their naughty novels, this group of shy suburban readers shake off their inhibitions and soon discover that their own lives can be just as scandalous...







Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this novel.

I really enjoyed this book!  I actually think it would be the perfect pick for my old book club!  Light, fun, intelligent, I would recommend it to just about everyone.

The story is told from multiple points of view, and this allows the reader insight from the five members of the book club and occasionally the spouses of these characters.  Sometimes a chapter would end on a real note of suspense with one character, and then switch to another character, and I'd be left thinking, "Nooooo!  I want to know what's going to happen!"  I almost resented switching to another character's story line, until I remembered that I liked this character just as much as the last.  This technique kept the plot moving along smoothly and I never felt like I was having to slog through.  

I could relate on different levels to all the members of the book club.  Sue reminds me a lot of my mom - newly retired, wanting to stay active and explore and experience new things, while married to a spouse who wants entirely different things.  I can remember what it was like to be in Rebecca's stage of life - newly wed and sorting through what that means as far as her role in the relationship.  Although I'm not divorced, I probably related most to Estelle - we're both  mothers, struggling to work, take care of our family, and sometimes losing our self in the process.  I couldn't relate to Gracie as much, but I loved seeing her relationship with Reggie develop.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment