Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Review: "The Summer I Found You" by Jolene Perry


All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction. Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?






Thank you to Netgalley and Albert Whitman Teen for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

I really enjoyed this book!  It captured my attention right from the get-go, and held it the whole way through.  I didn't feel the need to switch over to other books part way through, which is amazing considering I usually have 4 or 5 books going at once!

The book is told in an alternating point of view style, which really allows the reader to get inside the heads of both main characters.  I have to confess, I enjoyed Aidan's point of view more than Kate's.  Kate is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, but she's constantly trying to ignore it and cover it up.  She just seemed really immature about it, but then I grew up watching my dad giving himself needles and checking his blood sugar levels daily, so diabetes never seemed like something to be ashamed or embarrassed about.  Kate is both ashamed and embarrassed, but who am I to say that this is wrong?  Maybe I would feel the same in her shoes.

Aidan, on the other hand, is missing a limb.  His right arm, to be precise, and Perry does a fantastic job of making the reader see exactly how difficult it would be to live with this disability.  Aidan and Kate have an instant connection - Kate is constantly putting her foot in her mouth, but Aidan appreciates her honesty and the fact that she doesn't tippy-toe around his disability.  Both these characters go through some major growth, which is so satisfying to see.  I'll certainly be seeking out more books by this author.

My rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment