Thursday, October 2, 2014

Review: "The Heiresses" by Sara Shepard


The series follows one of the most prestigious and wealthy families on the Upper East Side who have built their entire fortune on the business of diamonds. Due to a clause the grandfather placed in his will, only his granddaughters are set to inherit his massive fortune…these are the heiresses. After the death of their cousin, the remaining heiresses try to figure out if the family curse is real or not, and if not, who killed their cousin, and more importantly, which one of them is next on the hit list?










Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

As the synopsis states, this book is about a very wealthy extended family, and the murder of one of the heiresses of said family.  My favourite of the three main protagonists was probably Aster.  I liked seeing how her character developed over time from the superficial, shallow party girl to someone a bit more substantial and reliable.  Rowan and Corrine had their own separate relationship issues to deal with, and that is how I was able to tell those two apart - Corrine's the one getting married, and Rowan's the one who's in love with her best friend, who just happens to be married to her cousin.  Come to think of it, it was difficult to keep all of the characters straight.  One of those family tree thingies would have been handy at the front of the book.  

I didn't really connect with any of the characters.  The mystery was only somewhat interesting to me, and I had an easy time putting this book down.  I was never really cringing with fear or waiting with bated breath to see what would happen next - the suspense didn't draw me in as much as I would have liked.  Still, I might be tempted to pick up the next in the series just because of the cliff-hanger ending.

My rating:
  


No comments:

Post a Comment