Saturday, February 21, 2015

Review: "Lessons I Never Learned at Meadowbrook Academy" by Liz Maccie

The most important lessons aren't learned in the classroom. It’s the first day of sophomore year for Roberta Romano, but instead of the comfort of her local high school, she's been thrust into the elitist embrace of the affluent Meadowbrook Academy. Surrounded by wealth, Roberta battles her own insecurities, as well as evil teachers and mean girls, to prove her worth and maybe land the boy of her dreams. With the help of two unlikely allies — ​and an inflatable toy raft — ​Roberta embarks upon a journey of dark secrets and self-discovery to learn the true meaning of friendship and acceptance.

Thank you to Netgalley and Diversion Books for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this novel.

Wow, this book really caught me by surprise!  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I can honestly say that I was impressed with the level of depth and intelligence displayed here.  

Roberta is an excellent character!  I just loved her!!!  So. Much!  She's got so many facets, and I'm not going to describe all of them here, but she was continually surprising me.  I will say this - that cafeteria scene?  Friggin' awesome! 

I loved how Maccie was able to thoroughly immerse me in Roberta's brain so I felt that I knew her.  For a rather quick read, I had no problem connecting with Roberta and her two new friends.  In fact, I loved Annie and Mervin almost as much as I loved Roberta, and that doesn't happen to me often with supporting characters.  Although there wasn't really a cliffhanger ending, I would love to read more about these three characters if Maccie were to continue writing this book into a series.  

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend "Lessons I Never Learned at Meadowbrook Academy" to anyone looking for a quick YA read with lovable  characters and some good laughs mixed in with some valuable life lessons.  I'm also looking forward to reading whatever Liz Maccie comes out with next!

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment