Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: "Addicted to You" by Krista and Becca Ritchie


She’s addicted to sex. He’s addicted to booze…the only way out is rock bottom. No one would suspect shy Lily Calloway’s biggest secret. While everyone is dancing at college bars, Lily stays in the bathroom. To get laid. Her compulsion leads her to one-night stands, steamy hookups and events she shamefully regrets. The only person who knows her secret happens to have one of his own. Loren Hale’s best friend is his bottle of bourbon. Lily comes at a close second. For three years, they’ve pretended to be in a real relationship, hiding their addictions from their families. They’ve mastered the art of concealing flasks and random guys that filter in and out of their apartment. But as they sink beneath the weight of their addictions, they cling harder to their destructive relationship and wonder if a life together, for real, is better than a lie. Strangers and family begin to infiltrate their guarded lives, and with new challenges, they realize they may not just be addicted to alcohol and sex. Their real vice may be each other. New Adult Romance recommended for readers 18+ for mature content(less)

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this novel.

I don't know, but I might be addicted to this book!  It was really good, much better than I thought it would be.  It tackles some really difficult issues and does it in a way that didn't make me cringe (well, maybe just a little) - what I mean is that it could have been more graphic, focusing on the sex, but I'm glad it wasn't.  It didn't need to be.  

The characters are not necessarily likable, but you don't have to like them to be enthralled by them.  It's hard not to empathize with their situation, and I found myself rooting for Lily and Lo from beginning to end - I really wanted them to find their happily ever after!  I can guarantee you've never read characters like Lily and Lo.  

Like I said above, this book deals with some pretty heavy issues, like sex addiction and alcoholism, but it also touches on codependency, enabling, lying, guilt, friendship, and family.  Lily and Lo are both under a lot of pressure to keep up appearances, being that they're both born into extremely wealthy families.  I found it really interesting when Lily brought up a good point about her addiction vs. Lo's.  People can quit drinking and never drink again, but how are supposed to quit sex when sex is such an integral part of life?  Something to ponder, definitely.

Will you like this book?  I think most people will.  Even if you have no interest in reading about sex addiction, the book is so well written and about so much more than just sex addiction that it will appeal to the masses.  

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment