Sunday, May 25, 2014

Review: "His To Possess" by Opal Carew


Jessica’s life was in ruins…until she met him. Standing in the rain feeling lost in a new city, with no job and no prospects, she’s about to give up. Until Dane Rainier pulls up in his limo and offers her a ride—and sweeps her into the life of her dreams. Now she has a high-powered job and is having the best sex of her life, exploring her submissive side under the masterful hand of a gorgeous billionaire. But there’s a part of her that’s still holding back. Because the truth is, she’s never gotten over her ex-boyfriend Storm. A heavily muscled, motorcycle-riding rock musician, Storm couldn’t be any more different from Dane… and she just can’t get him out of her head. Now Storm is about to reappear and turn her whole world upside down. Both Dane and Storm make her body burn to be possessed, but will her indecisive heart cost her the love of both men?

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book.

I requested this title such a long time ago that when I finally started to read, I'd forgotten the synopsis and really didn't know what to expect.

Things started off well enough with Part I.  The pacing was good and kept me interested throughout Parts II and III.  Then some things started to bother me, like the repetitiveness of the writing.  I got tired of the word "masculine" - I get it, he's a man, he's so big and strong and "masculine"! - and of hearing about Jessica's nipples "peaking" all the time.  The other thing that bothered me was that never once did anyone mention protection.  It wouldn't have taken much to write in a condom here and there.

The characters were okay.  I didn't mind Jessica, but I would have liked maybe just a bit more back story from her.  Dane was good, I liked him, but Rafe/Storm was a total cliche - a wannabe badass, with a motorbike, leather jacket and tattoos.  Oh yeah, and a guitar!  I just wasn't buying it on him.

Then came the end.  It didn't exactly ruin the series for me, but it just didn't seem to fit.  I can't really say more without spoilers, but yeah, it just didn't seem realistic or believable.

My rating:  2.5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment